Friday, May 21, 2010

Collection Update: Megator



I normally would update my collections here, but a friend of mine recently acquired a piece so face-smashingly awesome that I thought I would share.

As most of you know, He-Man was a beloved toy line from the 80's that sold fantastical, muscle-bound heroes and villains with two syllable names. The line had a much loved animated television show and a slightly less loved live-action movie with Dolph Lundren in the lead role. Near the end of the toy line Mattel had a bunch of crazy ideas such as our green friend pictured above. Megator was a giant from Pre-Eternia (which as we know from history books and the nature channel being from pre-anything means that you are oversized and badass). The toyline was in its death throws so Megator was only sold in....Italy.

Yes, apparently my fratale were such the He-Man fans that Mattel could justify actual production of these huge figures (the normal He-Man figure stands just above his knee).

So scarcity puts this one at a pricey level on the secondary nerd market but ebay came to the rescue and my friend now has this giant jade hippie to proudly display on his coffee table. While still awesome, we should be honest: the character design on this was pretty lame.

"Hey Bob, what if we mix the Hulk and Conan?"

"Great idea Fred! This will save He-Man!"

One can only assume that Mattel received most of their character creation ideas from children. No one who didn't have the innocence of a child could come up with the name Fist-O.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha! I'm famous :D

History of video games said...

I wonder how many years we'll wait before we again have a functional video watch page....

Seems interesting

Well, I actually like this feature.